Hi Dr. Hull. I stumbled across your website when doing some research into oral lichen planus and the possible triggers to OLP. I didn’t even know this existed until my wife recently contracted OLP.
When doing research on this condition, I discovered the standard language that OLP is a chronic inflammatory disease that affects the mucus membrane of the oral cavity. They consider it an autoimmune disease.
I realized that there were various doctors and experts in the field that recommended cutting out artificial sweeteners when diagnosed with OLP. Just for the record, my wife has always been very healthy and is very careful with what she eats.
About 3 months ago, she went on a cereal sort of diet, morning and evening. Of course she used artificial sweeteners on the cereal for this period of time, and in the evening she had a craving for chewy sweets, which she had a least twice a week.
These sweets were full of artificial sweeteners.
To cut a long story short, she developed OLP on her tongue, but now we have realized that the aspartame appears to have triggered her OLP. She has thrown the cereal away, and she stopped eating the chewy sweets. She has gone back to a normal diet with plenty of fruits and vegs, like normal.
We have noticed a marked improvement and I wondered if you thought these toxins could have triggered the OLP.
Kind regards from Nottingham UK
From Dr. Hull
Anytime aspartame is used and health symptoms first appear, or get worse, I always recommend removing the diet chemicals and immediately begin detoxing.
Toxic food chemicals have been proven to cause, and certainly exacerbate, health stress. I believe that you and your wife have connected these dots very well in her case.
You are correct that there are toxins in aspartame, and it’s not a coincidence that your wife’s digestive enzymes in her mouth had a reaction to those toxins, such as the methanol found in aspartame.
The mouth is THE opening into your body, so toxins enter through the mouth. Digestion begins in the mouth, and those enzymes were “digesting” those toxins immediately. This first stage of digestion released the toxic chemicals in her mouth.
So, your wife’s diagnosis may be because her mouth was polluted with formaldehyde, a by-product of methanol found in aspartame.
As your wife has already done, I suggest removing all diet sweeteners, returning to a pure and natural diet, and replacing all the nutrients these chemicals rob from the body. Then, within a few weeks, her health symptoms should typically improve or completely go away.
Because your wife has been healthy, she is now one of millions of people who have restored their health after the diet chemicals were completely stopped.
Congratulations to you both for figuring this out, and Hat’s Off to your doctor who actually connected the dots, too!
If you want to learn more about healthy living and disease prevention, contact me at janethull.com. Remember that you are never alone when you are looking for good health!
Gain access to all of my online programs, ongoing support, monthly Q&A, and more by joining me on janethull.com. I look forward to supporting you on your journey to alternative health and wellness.
Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only, and is educational in nature. The FDA may not have evaluated some of the statements. This article is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Please discuss with your own, qualified health care provider before adding supplements or making any changes to your dietary program.
Before taking vitamins, consult your doctor; pre-existing medical conditions or medications you are taking can affect how your body responds to multivitamins.
You have our permission to reprint this article if you attribute us with a live back-link to this article and the youtube links. https://janethull.com/