Elderberry syrup has been used for centuries as an effective natural remedy for treating and preventing colds, coughs and the flu. It’s easy to make yourself!
The elder tree (sambucus nigra) has been prized as a “medicine chest” for health. The berries and flowers of elderberry are packed with antioxidants and vitamins that can boost your immune system.
They help ease inflammation, lessen mental stress, and help protect your heart.
Elderberry, Echinacea & Wild Cherry Throat Syrup
- 3 Tbsp. organic elderberries
- 2 Tbsp. organic rosehips
- 2 Tbsp. organic wild cherry bark
- 2 Tbsp. organic Echinacea purpurea root
- 1 Tbsp. organic mullein leaf
- 1 Tbsp. organic licorice root
- 1 organic sweet cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
- 1 tsp. organic ginger root
- 1 pint raw, local honey from your local farmer’s market
- Brandy (optional preservative)
- Mix herbs and spices together in a pot and combine with 1 quart of water.
- Allow to soak for 2 to 3 hours. You may reduce soaking time, if necessary.
- Heat at a low simmer until mixture has been reduced to approximately half its original volume (1 pint).
- Remove from heat and strain out herbs.
- Return strained liquid to pot. Add honey.
- Gently heat mixture over low heat, just until honey warms enough so that mixture can be thoroughly stirred together.
- Once mixed, remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Optional: To help preserve and extend shelf life, measure out a quantity of brandy that is 15 to 20% of the volume of the syrup. Stir into cooled syrup.
- Pour into clean bottles or glass jars and store in refrigerator. Syrup will last for several weeks to several months.
- Drink 1-2 teaspoons every hour or so throughout the day, or as much as needed to wrangle mild throat irritation.
- Even if you choose to leave out the optional brandy, this throat syrup is NOT intended for children under 1 year of age! Honey is not safe for babies.
If you want to learn more about healthy living and disease prevention, contact me at janethull.com. Remember that you are never alone when you are looking for good health!
Gain access to all of my online programs, ongoing support, monthly Q&A, and more by joining my Private Inner Circle Membership Program. I look forward to supporting you on your journey to alternative health and wellness.
Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only, and is educational in nature. The FDA may not have evaluated some of the statements. This article is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Please discuss with your own, qualified health care provider before adding supplements or making any changes to your dietary program.
Before taking vitamins, consult your doctor; pre-existing medical conditions or medications you are taking can affect how your body responds to multivitamins.
You have our permission to reprint this article if you attribute us with a live back-link to this article and the youtube links. https://janethull.com/